Two Types of Temporary Disability After a Work Injury

 Posted on August 19,2022 in Workers' Compensation

kane county work injury lawyer

In some lines of work, getting hurt on the job is relatively likely. In others, it is rare. Whether you are dealing with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from typing at a desk all day or a serious neck injury after a construction site accident, you are likely eligible for workers' compensation if you sustained an injury at work. Many injuries keep you from returning to your job right away. In some cases, you may be able to perform a less physically challenging job for your employer while you are injured. In others, you may not be able to work at all during your recovery period. If you are hurt and unable to perform your normal work duties, you may be able to receive temporary disability payments. An attorney can help you understand what types of benefits you are eligible for. 

What is Temporary Total Disability?

Temporary total disability benefits are used when you are unable to perform any work for your employer. If your employer cannot offer you temporary light-duty work that you would be able to perform, then you may be considered totally temporarily disabled. This is often the case if a worker's injuries are severe, especially if they must remain in the hospital or a rehabilitation facility for some time. 

If you are eligible for temporary total disability, you can be paid two-thirds of your normal wages. If you are hourly and your income varies, your weekly wages will be averaged out based on what you earned in the past year. 

What is Temporary Partial Disability?

In some cases, an employer will be able to offer an injured worker a temporary position that is less physically demanding. For example, if you do road work and your job primarily involves digging with a shovel, your employer may offer you a position holding a sign to direct traffic. However, these less demanding jobs often pay less than the injured worker’s usual position. 

If you are able to perform a lighter duty job for your employer, then you can likely still receive Workers’ Compensation benefits to help make up the difference. You could receive payments equal to two-thirds of the difference between your pay in the lighter-duty job and what you would be paid doing your usual job. 

An attorney can help you determine which type of temporary disability you may qualify for. 

Contact a Kane County Workers’ Compensation Lawyer

If you have been hurt at work and cannot return to your usual position right away, Kinnally Flaherty Krentz Loran Hodge & Masur P.C. may be able to help you obtain temporary disability benefits. Our knowledgeable Aurora Workers’ Compensation attorneys will assess your case and determine what types of benefits you are eligible for. Call 630-907-0909 for a free consultation. 



Share this post: