Joseph C. Loran (Partner)
Mr. Loran practices in the areas of personal injury, wrongful death, workers’ compensation, and commercial litigation. He has over 30 years of experience in helping people in genuine need of advocacy, including substantial experience in handling interstate trucking claims and pharmaceutical errors. He has been recognized by his peers as among the top five percent of all Illinois lawyers in commercial litigation and personal injury litigation. He has obtained settlements in excess of a million dollars on behalf of many injured people. He has received the highest rating for skill and integrity by his peers and is widely respected as a dedicated and compassionate advocate.
He was admitted to the practice of law in Illinois in 1985. He is also admitted to the United States District Court for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois.
He graduated from Marmion Military Academy in 1977. He received his undergraduate degree from Brown University in 1981 and his law degree from Loyola University in 1985.
Since 1999, Mr. Loran has received the highest rating from his peers for skill and integrity with an AV Preeminent designation by Martindale-Hubbell. By a survey of his peers, he also has been named a Leading Lawyer in Commercial Litigation, Land Use, Zoning & Condemnation Law, Personal Injury, and Medical Malpractice. This distinction is earned by fewer than 5 percent of all lawyers practicing in Illinois.
He has been a frequent lecturer at continuing legal education programs sponsored by the Kane and DuPage County Bar Associations on civil trial issues.
He is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA), the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA), American Association for Justice (AAJ), the Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Association and the Kane County Bar Association (KCBA).
Lopez v Morley, (2d Dist. 2004) 352 Ill. App. 3d 1174, 817 N.E.3d 592: Successfully argued that the injured plaintiff/patient did not have to pay the hospital more than the contracted amount owed under his health insurance contract, and that the hospital could not recover additional sums from the personal injury action.
- Pharmaceutical Litigation: Recovered significant sum in a confidential settlement on behalf of a man given the wrong medication over several months by a chain pharmacy causing serious complications to a pre-existing illness.
- Obtained $2.4 million award for 47 year old woman who suffered permanent back injuries from tripping over defective carpet tiles made by a large carpet manufacturer.
- Trucking Litigation: Recovered a sum in excess of $2 million in a wrongful death suit on behalf of the estate of a 61 year old married man with four adult children.
- Construction Litigation: Recovered in excess of $1 million for the wrongful death on behalf of a laborer’s two adult sons.
- Obtained a verdict in Kendall County in excess of $225,000 on behalf of a trucker who sustained knee and wrist injuries while tarping his load at a Menard Distribution Center.
Mr. Loran was born in Chicago, Illinois. He has been married to his wife, Janice, for 30 years. Throughout that time, they have lived in Aurora and Sugar Grove where they raised their children, Stephen and Claire.
Mr. Loran has been a member of the Board of Directors for McAuley Manor and the Provena Mercy Center Foundation Board. He has coached baseball, softball and basketball locally for park districts, the YMCA, and Holy Angels Grade School.
"Helping people when they need it the most is a special trust and responsibility. It is one I value and take very seriously. Although the struggle for justice is never easy, it is always more certain when it is fought with strength, honor and compassion. Those attributes are the hallmark of my practice and they accompany me in every battle I am privileged to wage. If you have been injured and need help, I would be proud to fight for you."
- Joe Loran