The Best Questions for Your Workers’ Compensation Attorney

 Posted on March 06,2019 in Workers' Compensation

IL injury lawyerFacing a work-related injury that threatens your career and finances leaves much uncertainty to you and your family. If a claim is denied, you and your family may suffer with the burden of medical bills and the loss of a working adult and paycheck.

Do I Need a Lawyer?

Even after a minor injury with minimal lost time at work, you still are eligible for compensation and a solid legal representation is the best option for claiming those benefits. An attorney will also represent you if your claim is denied, and will know how much your case is worth. Even if your employer discourages or threatens you based on your claim, a lawyer will have your back.

When working with a lawyer, you may not know where to start when it comes to questions about your workers’ compensation claim. These questions will help you start the conversation with your lawyer to get the benefits you deserve after a work-related accident or injury.

What Does Workers’ Compensation Provide? Even if no days were missed by your injury, your employers’ workers’ compensation insurance should at least cover any medical expenses faced after an incident. If three or more days are missed, then you are eligible for temporary disability where missed wages are compensated. If your injuries prevent you from working long term, then permanent disability benefits are instated. If you die as a result of an accident at work, then your family is eligible for benefits.

What If the Accident Was My Fault? No matter whose fault the accident was, in most cases you are still eligible for compensation. Examples of circumstances where your accident or injury would not be covered by workers’ compensation include if you were under the influence of drugs or alcohol during the incident, or if the injuries resulted from a physical fight you started.

Will There Be a Lawsuit? Workers’ Compensation is in place to avoid trial, and a lawsuit cannot be brought upon the employer. However, if a third party was involved in your accident, then a personal injury lawsuit can be brought upon that party. For example, if a road construction worker is hit by a drunk driver, then that driver can be sued for negligence.

Contact an Aurora Workers’ Compensation Attorney

For the sake of your livelihood and dependants, do not face an injury suffered at work alone. Contact an experienced Kane County workers’ compensation attorney to find out how much your case is worth. Call our office at 630-907-0909 to schedule a free consultation.



Share this post: