Having a child is an important milestone in many adults’ lives. In some cases, births do not go as smoothly as planned and injuries happen to the mother, the infant or both. Birth injuries can be devastating to both the parents and the infant because they can cause lifelong symptoms and can affect your baby’s growth and development. There are many different types of birth injuries that range from mild to severe, but any preventable birth injury is an unacceptable outcome of poor decision-making or negligence on the doctor’s part.
Causes of Birth Injuries
A birth injury can be caused by a number of things, some due to decisions made by your doctor and some associated with conditions present before or during the baby’s birth. Risk factors for birth injuries can include:
- Large birth weight, over 8 pounds, 13 ounces;
- Premature babies born before 37 weeks' gestation;
- Mother’s pelvis is too small for a vaginal birth or not shaped correctly;
- Difficult or prolonged labor; and
- Abnormal birthing presentation, such as a breech delivery.
Birth injuries can also be caused by decisions made by your doctor. These causes can include:...