Losing your footing and falling down can be embarrassing, but most people tend to think of this type of accident as a minor incident that leads to little more than an inconvenience. However, slip and fall accidents can be extremely dangerous, leading to serious injuries and even death.
Slip and Fall Accident Statistics
In 2014, slip and fall accidents accounted for approximately 32,000 deaths in the United States. At people’s homes or in residential communities, these types of accidents led to more than 31,000 deaths, and around 600 people were killed and 47,000 people were injured while slipping and falling at work.
Where Are Slip and Fall Accidents Likely to Occur?
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere. However, the places where slip and fall accidents most often occur are in doorways, ramps, and cluttered hallways. Areas with heavy traffic may also cause slip and fall accidents, as well as places with uneven surfaces, wet areas, unguarded heights, areas prone to spills, and unstable work surfaces. Ladders and stairs have also been proven to be the culprit of slip and fall accidents, injuries, and deaths.
Preventing Slip and Fall Accidents
People can avoid injuries from these types of accidents by taking the following precautions:
- Clean up spills as soon as possible and make sure to use signs warning people about wet floors.
- Wear shoes with non-slip soles.
- Avoid blocking walkways with furniture or cabinet doors and drawers and remove tripping hazards such as papers, boxes, or electrical cords.
- Make sure that handrails are installed on both sides of staircases.
- Install proper lighting in indoor and outdoor areas.
- Check for damage to walkways and stairs and repair defects as soon as possible.
- When using a ladder, keep it on a firm, solid surface, and climb up and down the ladder one rung at a time.
Call an Aurora, IL Premises Liability Attorney
Slip and fall accidents can lead to serious injuries, such as broken bones, injuries to the neck and back, or traumatic brain injury. These injuries can greatly affect your overall quality of life, and when they are caused by someone’s negligence, that person should be held responsible. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a slip and fall accident, the skilled attorneys of Kinnally Flaherty Krentz Loran Hodge & Masur P.C. can help you receive the compensation you deserve. We have over 39 years of experience representing Kane County area clients in personal injury and slip and fall accident matters, and we are ready to assist you with your case. For a free initial consultation, please call an Aurora personal injury lawyer at 630-907-0909 to get the help you deserve.