When you receive medical treatment, you put a great deal of trust in your doctor. Unfortunately, there are far too many cases where individuals have been seriously injured or killed because of a misdiagnosis or other medical error by their doctors. To decrease the likelihood of medical malpractice, it is best to choose a doctor who will give you their undivided attention and listen to your questions and concerns.
How to Find the Right Doctor
Finding the doctor who will meet your specific needs can be very difficult. However, there are five basic criteria that a good doctor should meet:
- Doctors should answer questions fully. Rather than providing simple yes or no answers, doctors should provide complete explanations and ask patients to repeat instructions back to them.
- Doctors should provide written instructions, giving patients a resource to refer to after they have left the doctor’s office.
- Doctors should provide informed consent, explaining procedures and making sure patients fully understand what they are signing.
- Doctors should create a first good impression, approaching patients with a positive attitude and ensuring that staff provide good customer service. This can be especially helpful if you are new to the area or need a new doctor.
- Doctors should provide a hospitable office, ensuring that the temperature is kept at a comfortable level, rooms are clean, and patients are kept informed of wait times or delays.
Doctors and their staff both play an important role in their patients’ treatment. When choosing a doctor, looking at how well they meet the criteria above will help you make sure you will receive the treatment you need and avoid being injured because of misdiagnosis, medical errors, or other types of medical negligence.
Call a Kane County Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Losing a loved one to medical malpractice is one of the most difficult things anyone can experience. Even an injury from medical malpractice can have a major effect on your life for years to come. If you or a family member have been injured after being misdiagnosed by a doctor or experiencing another form of medical malpractice, it is important to seek legal representation. At Kinnally Flaherty Krentz Loran Hodge & Masur P.C., we understand the devastation that these injuries can cause to your family, and we are dedicated to helping you recover the compensation that will address the personal, financial, and emotional harm that you have suffered. To schedule a free initial consultation, please call an Aurora, IL personal injury attorney at 630-907-0909.