Frequently Asked Questions About Illinois Workers Compensation

 Posted on November 06,2018 in Workers' Compensation

Aurora workers compensation attorneysFor the average adult, one-third of your life is spent at work. Your workplace is a familiar space and, especially for traditionally non-hazardous spaces like an office, it may be hard to believe when a serious accident occurs. No matter who is at fault for the accident, you have rights as an employee to submit a claim for any pain and suffering sustained while at work. Suffering an injury at work is a scary and unsure time. Here are a collection of frequently asked questions in regards to workers compensation in Illinois.

What Is Workers Compensation?

According to the Illinois Handbook On Workers Compensation And Occupational Diseases, workers compensation is defined as a system, for most employees, to receive benefits by law after a workplace injury or disease developed from an occupational hazard.

What Should I Do After An Accident?

Ideally, you should tell your employer right away after an injury at work, but you can wait up to 45 days to report the incident without a delay of benefits. In the notice to your employer about your accident, you should include the day and place of the incident. If you are unable to work three days after the accident, your employer should begin paying Temporary Total Disability within 14 days or have a written explanation of why benefits are being withheld.

How Do I File A Claim?

Three copies of the Application for the Adjustment of Claim, and a Proof of Service, should be filed by mail, or in person, to a Commission office. An arbitrator and case number will be assigned to your claim. It may take one to two years before your case makes it to a trial.

Who Pays My Medical Bills?

Under the Act of Workers Compensation, employers are required by law to pay for reasonable medical care pertaining to the effects of the accident. Payment for medical services cannot be collected from the employee during the process of a claim. Employers can pay medical bills directly if undisputed.  

Do I Need a Lawyer?

While having the assistance of an attorney during the initial filing of your claim can decrease the chances of a wrongful denial or dispute, their aid is critical when dealing with a disputed claim or an employer who refuses to pay. 



Get in Touch With a Kane County Workers’ Compensation Attorney

With a defensive employer denying your rights to workers’ compensation after an accident, you deserve a legal professional on your side who will litigate on your behalf. Contact an experienced Aurora, Illinois Workers’ Compensation Attorney at 630-907-0909 to schedule a free consultation.



Share this post: