Sadly, car accidents are an all-too-common occurrence in Illinois and across the country. These types of road accidents can cause severe injuries and even death. Understanding the various reasons why car accidents occur can help us prevent them from happening. Today, we will discuss the 10 most common reasons for car accidents. Of course, if you are ever involved in a car accident, strongly consider hiring a personal injury. Your attorney will ensure you understand your rights and legal options.
So, Why Do Car Accidents Occur?
Here are the top 10 most common ways car accidents happen, including:
- Distracted driving – This troubling phenomenon is becoming more and more common. Drivers can be easily distracted by their phones, eating, drinking, talking to other passengers, or changing the radio station. When drivers take their eyes off the road, accidents can happen.
- Speeding – Driving at excessive speeds is hazardous because it significantly reduces the driver’s reaction time. Speeding is a leading cause of fatal car accidents.
- Drunk driving – Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a serious offense that can lead to severe accidents. Intoxicated drivers have impaired judgment and are more likely to cause accidents.
- Reckless driving – Reckless driving may include behaviors such as weaving in and out of lanes, running red lights, and not using turn signals. Reckless drivers are a significant danger to themselves and other road users.
- Poor road conditions – Poor road conditions, such as potholes, can cause car accidents. For example, drivers can quickly lose control of their vehicles when they swerve to avoid potholes.
- Vehicle malfunctions – Sometimes, car accidents can occur due to vehicle malfunctions such as faulty brakes, blown tires, or steering problems.
- Inexperienced drivers – Inexperienced drivers are more likely to cause accidents because they lack the skills and experience to handle various driving situations.
- Weather conditions – Adverse weather conditions such as rain, fog, snow, and ice can make driving difficult and dangerous.
- Tailgating – Following too closely to the car in front is dangerous because the drivers do not have enough time to react to sudden stops or turns.
- Fatigue – Tired drivers can cause accidents because they have reduced reaction times and impaired judgment.
Contact a Kane County Car Accident Lawyer
As stated at the outset, understanding why car accidents occur is essential in reducing their occurrence. If you have been involved in a car accident, call the knowledgeable Aurora, IL, car accident attorneys with Kinnally Flaherty Krentz Loran Hodge & Masur P.C.. Call 630-907-0909 for a free consultation.
Source - https://www.huffpost.com/entry/top-15-causes-of-car-accidents_b_11722196